What is the DofE?
The DofE is a voluntary, non-competitive programme of practical, cultural and
adventurous activities, designed to support the personal and social development of young people aged 14-25, regardless of gender, background or ability. It offers an individual challenge and encourages young people to undertake exciting, constructive, challenging and enjoyable activities in their free time.
What is involved?
The DofE has three progressive levels . . .
- Bronze (for those aged 14 and over)
- Silver (for those aged 15 and over)
- Gold (for those aged 16 and over)
. . . and is a four-sectioned programme . . .
- Volunteering (helping other people in the local community)
- Expedition (training for, planning and completing a journey on foot or horseback, by boat or cycle)
- Skills (covering almost any hobby, skill or interest)
- Physical (sport, dance and fitness)
- Residential (Gold Award only)(a purposeful enterprise with people not previously known to the participant)
You have until your 25th birthday to complete any of the Awards but it takes at least 6 months at Bronze, 12 months at Silver and 18 months at Gold for Direct Entrants.
There should be a regular commitment averaging at least an hour a week.
When can I start?
- Bronze Award from 14 Years
- Silver Award from 15 Years
- Gold Award from 16 Years
The Key principles of the Award are:
- achievable by all - a personal challenge not a competition
- available to all - anyone can do it!
- voluntary - it's up to you what you do, it's your leisure time
- personalised - your programme is designed by you for you
- balanced - it will stretch you in all directions
- progressive - you improve at your own pace
- achievement focused - you can't fail
- demands commitment - it takes more than a short burst of enthusiasm
- personal development - it's the taking part that matters; getting an Award is the icing on the cake
- enjoyable - it's about getting out there and having fun!
A leaflet has been produced with the DofE on how the DofE programme can work with The Boys' Brigade Discover & Challenge Plus programmes - download.
How do I find out more?
Order DofE Participation Places/Welcome Packs
Order DofE Record Books / Welcome packs through your Regional Headquarters - click here to donwload the form.
eDofE - Award completions & participant registration
As of 1st April 2013 all participants must be registered and awards completed using the online eDofE system with the only exception being the old DEA Record Books.
PARTICIPANTS USING OLD DEA RECORD BOOKS SHOULD STILL COMPLETE USING AN APPLICATION FOR WHICH CAN BE FOUND ON THE BB DOFE DOWNLOADS PAGE: http://boys-brigade.org.uk/dofedownloads.htm
If your company is not registered on eDofE please register by visiting http://boys-brigade.org.uk/edofecentreenrole.htm and completing the online form.
For further information and resources on how to get started and using eDofE please visit http://boys-brigade.org.uk/dofeedofe.htm
Other BB DofE Pages
Some files may require Adobe Acrobat Reader.